Saturday, March 5, 2011

For the Arts

This Giving Saturday is a little different. I am not going to suggest one foundation or another but express another way to give. I am a lover of the Arts, now I'm not huge into actual art but I love music and plays. I love going to musicals and taking my girls' to concerts and symphony's. I love supporting the arts in that way.

Princess has been taking Violin for 2 years now. For now the school district has an after-school program they pay half and the parents pay half. The program is lessening as budget cuts keep happening and the program barely survived this school year. I can't play an instrument but I love when I hear my daughter practicing her violin even if at times it seems she is screeching along on the violin.



Idaho State-Civic Symphony and Heinz every year put together an AMAZING symphony for the children. Last year was the first year we went and the conductor, Chung Park, came out with a cane and neck brace pretending to be injured and let children from the audience come up and conduct the symphony. I had never had so much fun at a symphony and the best part was that the girls LOVED it as well.

A few months after wards I met Chung and I must say I was a bit star struck, he is really talented. I was glad that I was able to express how grateful I was to him for putting on the event for the children and how much fun it actually was. To my satisfaction he was telling me all about the plans for the following year and that it was going to be a Snoopy production. Needless to say I have been eagerly awaiting.

This past Wednesday they finally had the performance. Princess got to go during school for a field trip and I had plans to take Kitty Kat later that evening, unfortunately, I fell ill and was unable to go. Here is a news segment to tell you what it was about, still very sadden that I was not able to go



On Wednesday I was at Fred Meyer and I was walking past a lady who was on the phone, I don't have much of a social life so I eaves dropped on her conversation. These were the exact words I heard, "Oh, she is at the stupid symphony." It still makes me so upset to hear those words. I know that a lot of work and planning went into that event and I also know that parents are the ones who make things seem stupid and boring when in fact they are truly fantastic.

So for this Giving Saturday I urge you to give to the ARTS, support them! Go to a play, a symphony, an art show, the ballet, and try and include the children as well. There are so many events out there even locally. On Monday the girls and I went to a Musical called "Back to the 80's" one of the public high schools, Century, put it on. We had so much FUN and my kids can learn to respect these productions. All I ask is that you respect them and include children as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...